Friday, February 27, 2009

february critique

MY CONCENTRATION IS REFLECTION AND THE LINE BETWEEN REALITY/ UNREALITY, i guess.
This is my first piece. It is of my friend Hailey's legs and their shadow on the beach. (that's sand on the ground). I hadn't done any forshiz drawing for a while, so it was good to get back to it. I've always like just, well, drawing something. I was trying to do a reflection other than just in the usual reflective surfaces.... yeah. I like the background. I feel like this is a fairly satisfactory piece? The only thing that bothers me is how bright the bumps on the jeans are. From close up they don't look as ridiculously white, but from far away (like in the picture) they stand out. Which bothers me. Does that even make sense?
My second piece is from a picture of a penguin skeleton I took while on the zoo trip (which was great, btw). It's done in charcoal pencil thing, which I've never really used before, so it was fun I guess to figure it out. The skeleton was located in a glass box and so the background is the reflection of the skeleton in the glass. I wanted to create a different feel with the reflection, so it was done in pencil and with hatching-type stuff. Yeah. I think I like this one too. It was slightly frustrating trying to figure out the charcoal pencil.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I hadn't seen you drawing the reflection of your friend's legs with my own eyes, I totally would have thought it was a photograph. Really, a stunning job in composition and contrast. Great job!

monica! said...

On the first piece of the legs, the texture of the fabric is really well-detailed, but it is hard to tell that she is standing on sand...maybe you should add in more of a grainy texture so the sand feels more like sand.

Using sand as a reflective surface is really original because I don't think a lot of people think of stand as a reflective surface, so I think that's one of your strong points is that you stray away from overused surfaces and ideas.

Lindsay said...

The empty space in the legs piece works really well. It puts more emphasis on the object, but in an artsy way. The asymmetry also works well for the piece's composition.

lhsap2D0809AnnieM said...

Every single element of art is shown so well in the legs piece. One thing that really stands out to me is the value. The light and dark shading on the jeans looks great. I dont think that the ripples on the jeans are too light. It looks perfect! Also, the space is unique. Its so empty but still pleasing to the eye. Overall I think this piece has great balance. If you did not have the shadow it would lack that, but you do and it looks so amazing! great job

LHS AP 2-D said...

Ali-

If you look at all your work on the whole, it's feeling like a body of work. I believe that you have tackled the demons that were plaguing you at the beginning of this process. The beach reflection piece is quite exciting. To capture the sand in a way that feels 'real' is hard to do. Well done.

lhsap2D0809KatieO said...

With out the explanation I didnt know what the second was, so that might be one thing to work on, but it was much easier to identify than the teapot piece from before so i can tell you have worked on making your refelective surfaces better. I dont care what McB says (sorry ha) I LIKE your first drawing of Haileys legs on the beach. I think using water/sand was an intersting refelctive surface and it just looks awesome. SO far this is one of my favorites in your concentration! The value in it makes it life like and that helped bring the form and texture to reality. The proportion in both is nice. There is a good balance, but the bottom piece lacks a strong middle ground, maybe go in again and add a little more light value. I think it will make it pop and add movement to it! AWESOME JOB!